enthalpy

Friday, October 17, 2003


Lilek's take on Tarantino's new one, Kill Bill: Vol. 1, pretty much sums up my thoughts of the movie and the director:
It's like the dialogue he wrote for "Crimson Tide" - it clangs on the ear. It jumps up and down and demands attention. Listen to me, listen to me! I'm a clever boy who knows the distinctions between Silver Age Jack Kirby "Silver Surfer" comic books and the latter artists whose work will always stand in their shadow! None of this matters, but I know the difference and you don't, and that makes me matter.
Here's another piece from the Star Tribune, (which may require registration.) It's not that he doesn't make good movies, and the violence doesn't really bother me. But his general weenie-ness accompanied by the "If you knew as much as I do about film noir from the 60s and Hong Kong from the 70s, you'd really enjoy this more" attitude that makes me want to watch baseball. Lileks has the perfect spin on his "tough guy" image, as well:
What makes it worse is knowing that if QT ever used mob money to make a film and fell behind on the payments, he would be shrieking like a gored pig the moment they started to bend his pinky back.



Home