enthalpy

Wednesday, October 08, 2003


Why do all these stories make it sound like cell phone providers are terrified of the notion of number portability? If any of the cell companies were worth a damn, they'd be trying to get ready for record numbers of new customers on November 24th, as opposed to bracing for their existing customers fleeing like rats from a sinking ship.
With consumers able to keep cell phone numbers, they will be more likely to switch carriers. That should spur competition, bringing better prices and services, consumer advocates say.
First off, check your bill: I've been paying for this crap since July. It's as if they're finally having to admit that their service sucks, and the only reason people stay with their provider is because of their number. Get ready for 5 year contracts.

Case in point: After 2 and a half years with a provider that rhymes with rent, I need a new phone. I currently don't have a contract, but to get $100 credit for a new phone, I have to sign another 2 year contract. Looking around the store, I see that they only have one $100 phone; the cheapest one there. However, if I was a new customer, I could get two kick-ass Samsung phones for $79, for the same two year contract!

I tried to explain to the troglodyte behind the desk that I could get a better deal if I terminated service and started over, but if I was going to go to the trouble to do that, I was going to start over with someone else.

He told me that sounded like a better idea. I'd do it, if I thought there was a better one out there.



Home