enthalpy

Thursday, December 02, 2004


"I had hot sex with a major league baseball player and all I got was a scorching case of herpes." And now, almost half a million dollars.
A Harris County jury awarded nearly $500,000 in damages to a Spring woman who said she contracted genital herpes from Los Angeles Dodges pitcher José Lima, a former Astro.

Lawyers for Michelle E. Rudolph, 27, said she learned she was infected in February 2003, about a week after she last had sex with Lima, and said he never warned her that he had the disease.

Lima's lawyers, who plan to appeal, said Lima did not know he was infected until after his relationship with Rudolph ended.

Jurors in the 280th Civil District Court awarded Rudolph $475,000 in damages after hearing closing arguments Wednesday.
It always gets messy when courts are involved of he said/she said quarrels between lovers, but what the hell!?! Is there some way to prove the DNA from her herpes viruses are related to the DNA from his herpes viruses? Other than that, I can't how the case wouldn't devolve into a "No, you gave it to me" shouting match.

But it does pose some other interesting legal questions. Can I sue when I get sick? I'd really like to sue all the sneezing bastards in my office right now because they're too stupid to take a sick day and would rather come to work and snot all over everything.



Home