enthalpy

Friday, December 17, 2004


Looks like I'll be postponing my trip to Nuevo Laredo. I don't think I'd make a very good ransom subject.
Marauding drug gangs in a violent Mexican border city have turned to kidnapping U.S. citizens for ransom as they seek to diversify their criminal activities, the U.S. government warned on Friday.

The U.S. consul in Nuevo Laredo, which lies south of the Rio Grande from Laredo, Texas, said 22 U.S. citizens have been either kidnapped or disappeared while visiting the city since mid-August.

The recent spike contrasted with an average of three or four abductions annually in the city in recent years, and has been linked by law enforcement sources to drug-cartel activity, consul Michael Yoder said.
I would make a horrible hostage. First of all, I know just enough Spanish to get me in serious trouble with a marauding Mexican drug cartel. Also, no one I know would give a plug nickel to get me back.

I didn't exactly get a warm fuzzy from my time I spent in Nuevo Laredo without the drug cartels kidnapping and murdering gringos just for fun. I can't imagine how it could get any worse, but here we are. . .



Home