enthalpy

Monday, February 28, 2005


The Agitator has a modest proposal. How I wish everyone would read it. How I wish 10% of those that read it would recognize it as ironic satire (though I love the Swiftian title.)
Given the nationwide success of public smoking bans, I submit that we should return to alcohol prohibition.

Here's why:
And while I agree with his point wholeheartedly, here's were I disagree with his delivery. Why would anyone say "hey, look at the stupid laws against smoking. . . drinking is even more stupid." It doesn't provide any evidence to relax the smoking laws. It only provides ammunition to strengthen the neoprohibitionist movement against alcohol, not the other way around.

People with common sense don't write public policy, so instead of proving an absurd point, you've just given them some really good ideas. Some that they haven't thought of.

Yet.



Home