enthalpy

Wednesday, February 02, 2005


I fear I've been too hard on Bush lately, so I'd like to focus some of my contempt back towards Senator John Kerry (D-MA). For some reason, on the day of the election in Iraq, he was the guest on "Meet the Press." I caught the re-run after reading Ann's captivating synopsis of the interview. I have no idea how Bush got elected, but I'm just as clueless as how this caricature of a stick figure got over 50 million votes. It's as though he's on Saturday Night Live making fun of himself.
MR. RUSSERT: You're saying raise taxes by rolling back the top bracket. You're raising taxes on richer Americans to pay for Social Security.

SEN. KERRY: Well, Tim, you can call it what you want. I mean, if you think rolling back to the level that we had in the 1990s, when an awful lot of our friends made an awful lot of money and people did very well in America--if you think that's raising taxes, then you can go ahead and have that definition. I think it's rolling back. I think it's rolling them back to a level of responsibility.
So, even though he wants to [gasp] raise taxes, it's not a tax increase. I can't imagine how he lost.



Home