enthalpy

Tuesday, March 01, 2005


Dammit, I hate Tom DeLay, but I hate him even more when he's right.
House Majority Leader Tom DeLay said today there is no constitutional guarantee of separation of church and state as the Supreme Court prepared to take up a case challenging the display of the Ten Commandments on the Texas Capitol grounds.

"I hope the Supreme Court will finally read the Constitution and see there's no such thing, or no mention, of separation of church and state in the Constitution," said DeLay, a Republican from Sugar Land.

The First Amendment of the Constitution says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..."
No other umbrella from the Left makes me want to puke more than when I hear "yeah, but what about the separation of church and state?" It doesn't exist. It never did. The first amendment protects us from a state religion, nothing more. And while I can't make a case for the presence of the ten commandments in a courtroom, I can't really see how people of any religion adhering to such rudimentary instructions is a bad thing, either.

What I don't get is how people can get so worked up over such a symbolic gesture of a public display of (for lack of a better word) morals, yet be totally complacent on state support of all religions. Does your church pay taxes? Of course not, unless you go to a really, really weird one.

So if you're going to cry about "the separation of church and state," pay your property taxes, or shut the hell up.



Home