enthalpy

Friday, March 25, 2005


For those of us that weren't children of the 60's, MacArthur's Park may need some explanation. Thankfully, I'm not the person to give it to you, but luckily this guy has stepped up to the plate.

Of course, the most oft asked question (to Richard Harris, at least) about this song is "why?" But now I suppose the question would be why do I bring it up. Here's why:
Two days ago, I'm having an unusually banal conversation with a guy at work. Don't ask how Richard Harris' MacArthur's Park came up, because I don't know. Even if I did, I'd deny it. Anyhoo, I confessed that I'd never heard the song, yet the name sounded vaguely familiar.

Flash forward to today when I'm listening to Michelle Shocked's Come a long way and dang nabbit if that nonsensical song isn't referenced:
I heard the screams of the dying dark
Through the sweet green icing of MacArthur Park
Which makes a lot more sense when you've heard the original lyrics.
MacArthur Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Ok, maybe none of it makes sense. Who am I to judge. I just don't know how I missed out on such a horribly splendid gem of awfulness all this time. It's like turning 35 and only then finding out about roller derby.



Home