enthalpy

Saturday, May 14, 2005


Went to yet another Astro's game this week, and I must admit, it was pretty cool. Got some sweet seats (from my company) down in section 125, and after I got over the notion of being pegged in the noodle with a foul ball or broken bat, it was pretty cool. Even though the Astros lost, paying $11.25 for a beer and some peanuts seemed somehow acceptable, even though I know it isn't.

Since I'd never sat that close to the action before, for some reason I just couldn't get this SNL sketch out of my head. It's from 1989, and it's George Will's Sports Machine:
George F. Will: Very well. [ $100 card under category is removed, revealing question ] "Like freedom, baseball is that stake where energy and order merge, and all complexity is purified into a simple coherence." Piffle, or not piffle?

Mike Schmidt: Uh.. piffle.

[ bell sounds ]

George F. Will: That is correct, it's absolute piffle. It's baseball's complexity, not its purity, that instills in us our freedom, and you have $100.

Tommy Lasorda: Hey, wait a minute! What's this piffle crap? What kind of question is that?
Definitely piffle. Hey, it could be worse. It could be Denver.



Home