enthalpy

Monday, June 27, 2005


The Texas Legislature, for once exhibiting a position of not having its head squarely up its ass, tried to take the Kelo V. New London case and head it off at the pass, hopefully before Freeport gets going on that one.
Texas' cultural commitment to private property rights surfaced quickly Thursday as a state legislator moved to blunt the impact of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that local governments may seize land for private development.

Hours after the court's 5-4 ruling came down, Rep. Frank Corte Jr., R-San Antonio, said he would seek "to defend the rights of property owners in Texas" by proposing a state constitutional amendment limiting local powers of eminent domain, or condemnation.
I'm admit, I'm only about half way through the court's actual ruling, but it seems to me that the opinion of the court is that by increasing the tax base of the community and thus, improving the community, is in the public's interest.

I promise it'll never happen again, but this reminds me of a quote from one of my least favourite presidents:
When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy [sic].
Damn, I hate it when he's right.



Home