enthalpy

Sunday, August 28, 2005


What is it about every story coming out of Iraq now makes me think that Christopher Hitchens is going to see some pretty sleepless nights for the rest of his life?
The great point about Blair's 1999 speech was that it asserted the obvious. Coexistence with aggressive regimes or expansionist, theocratic, and totalitarian ideologies is not in fact possible. One should welcome this conclusion for the additional reason that such coexistence is not desirable, either. If the great effort to remake Iraq as a demilitarized federal and secular democracy should fail or be defeated, I shall lose sleep for the rest of my life in reproaching myself for doing too little. But at least I shall have the comfort of not having offered, so far as I can recall, any word or deed that contributed to a defeat.
I really don't think I understand what he's trying to say here. But he's not the only Neocon that can't sensibly retrace their steps in their road to war.



Home