enthalpy

Wednesday, September 28, 2005


For some reason that totally escapes me now, I've been reading about the Wannsee Conference and the Beer Hall Putsch. Of course, I ended up on Göring, and something about this quote stood out in my mind as being frighteningly topical:
Gilbert: There is one difference. In a democracy the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.

Göring: Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and for exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.
Shit! I think I need to go buy a Toby Keith CD before I draw too much attention to myself.



Home