enthalpy

Saturday, February 04, 2006


I'm certainly not the world's biggest fan of Metal, but still, I'm surprised that I've never made this connection. . . . Until now.
While the extreme branch of heavy-metal music known as death metal is defined in part by often-vile lyrics about violence, catastrophic destruction, nihilism, anarchy and paranoia, its singing style is associated with a beloved goggle-eyed, fuzzy blue puppet.

Death-metal vocalizing is also known as Cookie Monster singing, if not in tribute to, at least in acknowledgment of, the "Sesame Street" puppet that blurts in a guttural growl, his words discharged so rapidly that they tend to collide with each other.
I know they're trying to sound all sinister and tough, but I'll never again be able to hear it and not think of the Cookie Monster. And this graphic isn't helping, either:




Home