enthalpy

Friday, August 25, 2006


This is a truly fascinating article about why over-produced music today sucks. Short answer, six thousand words later, they want you to listen to it continually, but they don't want you to really hear it.
I got distracted because it suddenly dawned on me that an awful lot of recent music, much of which I adore, sounds horrible.
I could quote a brazillion lines from that article, mostly about bands that I've never heard of, but the short answer to this is that record companies are in the business of selling records. Indie or Britney, it's the same business model. What I find odd about the "compression" paradigm is that my car's CD player had a "compression" button to shove the peaks into the troughs. I had no idea why. Until now.

Of course, Wikipedia weighs in on this here.



Home