enthalpy

Saturday, September 30, 2006


Cos I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman
If you drive a car, I'll tax the street.
A new state law intended to collect taxes on the full retail value of used vehicles sold in private-party exchanges takes effect Sunday.

The so-called "liar's affidavit" law requires that buyers pay sales tax on 80 percent or more of a used vehicle's retail value, regardless of the actual purchase price.

The law is meant to stop the two parties in a used-car deal from agreeing to lower the official sales price so the buyer pays less sales tax.

State officials say the law, which the Legislature passed this year, is expected to generate $35 million annually. Private transactions make up about one-third of the state's used-car sales.
Yay, government! Way to find a way to get $35 million more dollars from your citizens!

In the black and white world of tax law, sure it's illegal, but who hasn't low-balled the selling price when paying tax on a used car? I'm not saying it's right, but if my county is depending on my buying/selling a used car for its income, they're in sad, sad shape to begin with.

Taxman!
And you're working for no one but me!



Home