enthalpy

Monday, January 22, 2007


Brazoria, Texas, isn't the first place on earth that tries to enact the thought police. Just the latest. This way too moronic to address, so I'll cut to the chase:
Brazoria Mayor Ken Corley wants offensive use of the ``N-word'' to be punishable by a fine of up to $500 in his town.

"It's not a particular problem in Brazoria," Corley said, "but it's a national problem."

"I just think it would be great if this little town of Brazoria, with 2,800 people leads the way in fighting against this offensive language," Corley said. He said if that ordinance passes, he may ask for the ordinance to be expanded to include other racial slurs.

The ordinance wouldn't forbid anyone from saying the word, Corley said, but just using the word in an offensive or aggressive manner. Violators would be charged with disturbing the peace, he said.
<< SNIP >>
The ordinance would allow the "N-word" to be used as a friendly greeting, he said.
So the ordinance allows "friendly" N-words, but fines "offensive" N-words? Has it occurred to the good mayor that someone will have to make the distinction between "friendly" and "offensive?" Who makes that call?

I'll admit, when I'm sitting in traffic next to the little 16 year old suburban white girl with her windows down and the ©rap music blaring, I'm kinda offended when I hear the N-word has become every other word in the lyrics to the music she's listening to. If I'm in Brazoria, can I have her locked up?



Home