enthalpy

Wednesday, April 18, 2007


I would expect such an article from the Onion, but the fact that this is a semi-serious article really goes a long way to crystallize what is wrong with the left in America: You are stupid and the Government is smart.
I just paid my taxes, and I have to say, I always take pride when I do so. I don't like having less money to spend, of course, and the complexity of the process is really upsetting. But I am proud to pay for democracy, and I feel when I do send money to the DC Treasurer and the US Treasury that that is what I am doing. The right-wing likes to pretend as if taxes are a burden instead of the price of democracy. And I suppose, if you hate democracy, as the right-wing does, then taxes are the price for paying for something you really don't want. Personally, I find banking fees, high cable and internet charges, health care costs, and credit card hidden charges much more abrasive than taxes, because with those I'm just being ripped off to pay for someone's summer home.
Way to show you're an idiot right off the bat. First off, let's not confuse "the right" with "Republicans." To say "the right" hates democracy is a complete bastardization of the term 'democracy' and 'the right.' Refined minds might disagree, but some would argue that the true "conservative" movement was a response to rampant Leftisim of the first half of the 20th century which felt that the government could solve the problems of the country better than the people can. This makes for extremely entertaining coffee shop debate, but when it comes down to it, it's about the money and power, and how much you're willing to give to your government, and how much you're comfortable with them taking. Exhibit B:
Our tax code is the DNA of our nation's moral compass. I am proud to pay taxes because I take pride in America, and paying some tiny burden to keep our society running is an extremely small price to pay for being able to call myself an American citizen. The old expression 'you get what you pay for' is apt for all sorts of situations. People tend to express what they value in how much they are willing to pay for it. I am willing and feel privileged for the right to pay for my country.
What a privilege! Why not donate all your money to the government? To make such an asinine statement is to concede that the State knows best how to spend your money. That they have your best interests at heart and will provide for you in your time of need.

Outside the beltway and the unenlightened self interest of the politicians themselves, can you name one instance where that's the case?

I'm no anarchist, but I'm anti-tax and anti-state because they're just so horribly bad at administrating it. Other than the tax collecting part. They can confiscate property for non-payment like nobody's business.

But back to this jackhole. If paying taxes is such a privilege, there's no one stopping you from doing it every month and not just in April. The Treasury will cash your check every month if you just want to feel that much better about yourself.



Home