enthalpy

Friday, July 20, 2007


Leave it to the Texas Legislature to look out for the little guy and protect the rights of the downtrodden. Up this time? Those that need to take a crap in public places
Everyone has had the experience: out in public, in the middle of a store, when nature calls. Some calls are more urgent than others, but for those getting over a stomach bug or some food poisoning, it's not one to be ignored.

For Susan Manks, fear of that call dogs her daily life. She never knows when or where. Such is the nature of Crohn's disease, a chronic and serious inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract that struck her when she was 18 and periodically makes her life miserable.

"When my disease is active, I'm a prisoner in my home," said Manks, a 46-year-old Houston mother of two. "You are fearful of stepping out of your safe zone."

Which explains why she was eager to drive to Austin on Thursday for the ceremonial signing of a bill that does a small thing that could have a big impact on the quality of her life. The new law, formally known as the Restroom Access Act, guarantees customers with certain medical conditions the use of a retail store's bathroom.

"When I first read about this, I literally cried because I could imagine something closer to a normal life," Manks said. "People don't understand how traumatic it can be when you are denied use of the bathroom. It's just like a panic attack."
Not to belittle their strife, because we've all been in the HEB when nature calls, but honestly. Do we need to get the government involved? If Leftys can use "keep your laws off my body" can private businesses use the "keep your laws off my bathrooms?" Of course not. That would be unfair.

But come on. Just because I'm about to crap my pants doesn't suddenly make it Home Depot's fault: It makes it their problem if they don't let me use their facilities. The market could solve this one with a mop instead of legislation.



Home