enthalpy

Monday, July 23, 2007


Pretty strong words from the world's 4th largest computer maker. Windows Vista sucks! Imagine that?!?
The head of Taiwan-based personal computer maker Acer, Gianfranco Lanci, hit out at Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system, saying that the "entire industry" was disappointed by it.

"The entire industry is disappointed by Windows Vista," the head of the world's fourth-biggest PC maker told the Financial Times Deutschland in its online edition on Monday.

Never before had a new version of Windows done so little to boost PC sales.

"I really don't think that someone has bought a new PC specifically for Vista," he added.
Well that's not entirely true. I bought this laptop so I could avoid Vista, so in a way, it did spurn a sale, but I've long been a proponent of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school. Sure, I know that same attitude would have left me back with Win 3.1 living in a cave, or at the very least peeing in my sink. But I was a devoted Mac user during the ugly Windows years, back before Steve Jobs convinced everyone to drink the Kool-Aide and Mac-ies turned into an iCult full of people with weird haircuts and grey tunics.

But seriously, what is Vista gonna do for me that XP isn't? This lappy has 2 gigs of ram and 120 gig hard drive, all for about the same price as my 15" monitor 10 years ago. I'll admit I'm a total idiot (on this), but I just don't see what Vista can do for me, considering the biggest memory whore on my machine is the OS itself, and the intertubes has turned just about every RAM filled box into a dumb terminal, anyway.

I'll be hanging on to XP for quite some time. At least until MicroSoft figures out what "backwards compatibility" means.

Labels:




Home