enthalpy

Thursday, September 27, 2007


I'm relieved to know that's it still illegal to chase someone down from the freeway and open fire on their vehicle, even if you're an off-duty cop.
A jury found Pasadena Police Officer Marcus Justin Kacz guilty of deadly conduct when he shot his gun at a man in a road rage incident while off duty in March.

Harris County Court at Law No. 1 visiting Judge Jim Larkin on Wednesday sentenced Kacz to 18 months probation for the Class A misdemeanor. He will have to pay a $400 fine, attend anger management classes, do community service and undergo random urine tests.

"I think you made a big mistake and showed bad judgment," Larkin said.

Kacz, 26, was in civilian clothes when he chased a driver who cut him off about 2 a.m. on Beltway 8 at Spencer, said prosecutor Joe Owmby.

When the driver stopped at a light, Kacz got out of his Nissan pickup and tapped his gun on the sideview mirror, then chased the sport utility vehicle to an apartment complex, where he fired the gun at least three times at a passenger.

Defense attorney Greg Cagle argued that Kacz followed the SUV because the driver was running red lights and driving dangerously.
Because we all know a good way to mitigate dangerous driving is with gunfire, right? What a knob I mean, nice person. Him chasing me down and opening fire on my vehicle because I cut him off is the last thing I need when I'm late for work.



Home