enthalpy

Sunday, October 14, 2007


The billboards are everywhere, and everyone in and around Houston has no doubt seen the ads for "The Boardwalk Bullet." Since Astro-World closed down a few years ago, there's been a shortage of roller coasters around here, and The Kemah Boardwalk stepped up to the plate with this little jewel:



Ok, looks like a solid wooden roller coaster. I never understood why "coaster enthusiasts" made such a distinction between wooden and steel coasters. Does that mean you get splinters when you're decapitated, rather than dieing from metal fatigue? Who knows. Anyway, where was I going with this? Ah yes

I'm driving down 146 past Kemah today and I see the sign, and something about it cracked me up:



First off, I've never seen an advertisement for carneys before. Do you really need to advertise for that? I just assumed that it was a skill that was passed down from one carney to another from generations of thumbless chain-smoking "ride-operators."

But $7.00 an hour? Do you really want to entrust your life to the machine and the operator, knowing they're paid the same as the guy working the drive-thru line at Wendy's?




Home