enthalpy

Monday, November 12, 2007


Cat-killer going on trial. I know I've blogged about this one in the past, but I'm not sure where I stand with this one. Is an endangered bird's life worth more than a stray cat's?
A prominent naturalist will try to convince a jury being chosen today that he should not be convicted of animal cruelty for allegedly killing a feral cat.

Jim Stevenson, 54, a well-known bird watcher and founder of the Galveston Ornithological Society, is accused of killing a feral cat Nov. 8, 2006, with a .22-caliber rifle.

Stevenson has defended the killing of feral cats as necessary to protect birds preyed upon by felines. "What really bothers me, this cat was down there killing endangered species of birds and others protected by law," Stevenson said in an April interview with the Chronicle.
Anyone that's been to the San Louis pass bridge knows it's LOUSY with stray cats, and if they're not being fed by the tool booth guys, then there should be NO birds in that area at all.

Still, I don't think taking your gun out and taking animal control into your own hands is the answer, but two years in prison for killing a stray cat may be a bit much.



Home