enthalpy

Sunday, November 04, 2007


In light of the previous post, let's just be clear that I have no idea what's going on in Pakistan. Power grab or putting down an insurrection. I have no clue. My only assessment is that that kind of instability in a country with nuclear weapons isn't a good thing, prahlee. But for the record, I love his own comparison between Lincoln and himself.
“I would at this time venture to read out an excerpt of President Abraham Lincoln, specially to all my listeners in the United States. As an idealist, Abraham Lincoln had one consuming passion during that time of crisis, and this was to preserve the Union… towards that end, he broke laws, he violated the Constitution, he usurped arbitrary power, he trampled individual liberties. His justification was necessity and explaining his sweeping violation of Constitutional limits he wrote in a letter in 1864, and I quote, ‘My oath to preserve the Constitution imposed on me the duty of preserving by every indispensable means that government, that Nation of which the Constitution was the organic law. Was it possible to lose the Nation and yet preserve the Constitution?’”
Yeah, suck on that, democracy worshipers! From the "It's not bad when WE do it" file. So does that mean a half a million Pakistanis are going to die to keep a region from achieving their own autonomy?

At least Lincoln didn't have nukes. I bet he'd have no problem letting Sherman nuke Atlanta.



Home