enthalpy

Friday, December 07, 2007


Load "Commodore64sRock",8,1
Like a first love or a first car, a first computer can hold a special place in people's hearts. For millions of kids who grew up in the 1980s, that first computer was the Commodore 64. Twenty-five years later, that first brush with computer addiction is as strong as ever.

"It may have not been the most sophisticated computer, but it did have a lot of personality and it was lovable and remains loveable," said Harry McCracken, vice president and editor in chief of PC World.

Often overshadowed by the Apple II and Atari 800, the Commodore 64 rose to great heights in the 1980s. From 1982-1993, 17 million C64s were sold. The Guinness Book of World Records lists the Commodore 64 as the best-selling single computer model.
That 64K of power turned me into the dork that I am today. And if nothing else, it taught me that 20 years earlier, my father had programmed a 64K computer that filled a room. I only know that because he told me that story about 64,000 times.



Home