enthalpy

Saturday, December 15, 2007


When I worked (briefly) in a large retail center, selling extended warranties was a huge deal. A cashier could easily make a week's pay in bonuses if they sold the most that month. I didn't get it at the time, but now I realize what the incentive is to push these things: It's basically free money for the store. But I'm not a big fan of insurance, anyway:
But you are still best advised to buy insurance only when a) the potential loss is very large, or b) your wife insists.
What I find hilarious is when I'm in a store famous for selling discount tools (cheep Chinese imports) and they push the warranties there. Yeah, I'm spending $19 on a drill, I want to drop another $5 so I can get another one in two years after the motor burns out. What's even better is when the clerk is trying to explain the process to someone that knows less than 15 words of English.



Home