enthalpy

Thursday, August 14, 2008


An interesting growing trend to the backlash of post-modern feminism: Women who don't do a damn thing all day.
"What do you do all day?" is a question Anne Marie Davis, 34, says she gets a lot.

Davis, who lives in Lewisville, Texas, isn't a mother, nor does she telecommute. She is a stay-at-home wife, which makes her something of a pioneer in the post-feminist world.

Ten years ago, she was an "overwhelmed" high school English teacher. "I didn't have time for my husband, " she says, "and I didn't have a life."

She presented the idea of staying home to her husband, a Web engineer. "I told him it was something I wanted to do, and he supported it. It was a great relief."
Wow. "Overwhelmed." Who isn't? Do these women think their husbands are just champin' at the bit at 6:30 in the morning to go punch the clock every day to provide wall paper for the den? Who wouldn't chose to do nothing if they had someone providing for them?
"I'd never say that a woman shouldn't work," she says. "But I don't see what good it would do to work in a job that I couldn't stand, and if I have the choice not to, why wouldn't I take that opportunity?"
What a waste. Just like the old joke about no one putting "I should have worked more weekend" on their tombstone, I don't think anyone wants it to say "I should have watched more Oprah."



Home