enthalpy

Tuesday, October 13, 2009


It would be silly to think that anyone would make a case promoting sending a text message while driving, but just because it's a stupid idea doesn't mean the government needs to make a law against it. Unless you're a democrat, and you think there's no problem too great for the government to solve. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-umb), hit me with some crazy about how your bill is going to save the children:
Often, it is the legality of an issue that is the impetus to effect behavioral change. For those in states that do not ban texting, there is little incentive to encourage people to stop, aside from an accident itself.
That statement would be hilarious if she didn't really mean it, because it's obvious that this logic makes perfect sense to her: "Hey, I got a text message. I'm not going to respond right now, though. Not because I'm doing 70 on the freeway in a 4,000 pound vehicle and I could kill myself or others if traffic changes while I have my head up my ass, but because I might get a $75 ticket, if the cop that's driving right next to me can prove I was texting and not looking at my "Slippery When Wet" CD case to figure out what track You Give Love a Bad Name is."

But this stance shouldn't surprise anyone, coming as it does from someone that thinks that firearms aren't going to be used criminally because there's a "law" against it.



Home