enthalpy

Friday, October 02, 2009


While I think that the rights of non-smokers to have clean trumps the rights of smokers to suck on carcinogens, I think I'm going to have to side with the smoker in this one and lay the blame with the owner of the townhouse and their shoddy construction that allows air intrusion from one unit to another.
A Dallas woman has filed a lawsuit seeking six figures from a former neighbor and landlord for damage she says was caused by cigarette smoke wafting through adjoining walls of her high-end townhome.

"Smoking is not a right, it's a privilege," said Chris Daniel, a retired nurse. "I'm sorry that people smoke. I think it's foolish, but when it comes into my house and hurts my health and my daughter's health and our belongings, it's a different issue."
Right, privilege, that's absolute horse shit. What you do in your own home is no one else's gall durned bidness. If it affects others, that one thing, assuming there's nothing that could be done about it, but still. This neighbor was smoking a cigarette, not enriching uranium. But the whining, it gets worse:
And even if some smell did seep through, the Daniels renewed their lease at Estancia – where smoking is permitted – six months after they say the problem began.
You don't like the behavior of your neighbors? LEAVE. I'm sure there are all sorts of non-smoking whiners that would LOVE to hear your sad tale of woe and see your gas masks.



Home