enthalpy

Monday, March 29, 2010


No one enjoys the misfortune of others, but at some point these unemployment stories just get to be too sappy to endure.
Heather * put herself through law school, working during the day and attending classes at night, so that one day she and her family could move out of their two-bedroom rental apartment and buy a house. She saw that dream slip away in August of last year, when she was laid off from her job as an attorney and was unable to find work.

"Before I got laid off, they were talking about year-end bonuses, and I put in as many hours as I could so I could hit that mark," said Tanner, who lives with her family in Pacifica, California. "My husband and I were going to use that bonus as a down payment for our house. You go from dreaming about that house you want and having a backyard to not even being able to pay the rent on your apartment. My six-year-old will say things like, 'Mommy, you can have my money for the new house.' But the dream is out the window -- it will be years now."
First of all, is there anyone going to shed a tear about an unemployed lawyer? I doubt it, but especially for one this whiney.

You live in Pacifica, California, where the median home price is one of the highest in the country. So you lose your job, do you do anything you can, including move, to take care of your family, or do you get on unemployment and whine about it? Did I mention she's a lawyer? Maybe instead of going to law school she shoulda majored in "not getting fired."



Home