enthalpy

Wednesday, June 20, 2007


About 50 years ago, someone, possibly a hungry squirrel, planted an acorn on a piece of dirt that was to become my back yard. Since the house has only been here for a little over 30 years, I have to assume that the builder realized the value of such a majestic Oak tree and left it intact, and for the last three decades, the house and tree have lived in harmony.

But what the squirrel didn't know is that he planed his nut on top of a 30 foot petroleum pipeline easement owned by a multi-national oil company that kinda sounds like the urine of this animal. Turns out they want to fly over and observe their pipeline, and their fancy imaging techniques can see through several feet of dirt, but somehow my oak tree was fucking it all up. So this morning they came to commit arborcide:


This just really sucks. For one, I can hear the chain saws as I type this, and it just makes me wonder WHY? Sure it's their easement, but does this make any sense? Sending some guy to walk it off every year has got to be cheaper than this. There's about 20 guys hanging around in my yard right now. I could sit around and whine about it, which is what I'm going to do, anyway, but I just want to cry. And if one more of those guys tells me "look how much better your lawn will grow now that all that shade is gone" I'm going to have to give him a chain saw enema.

Labels:




Home